Tuesday 6 May 2014

A New Concrete Playground

I haven't posted for a while. This can be easily explained by an event that I, and a lot of other skaters & riders have been looking forward to for over 5 years. The opening of the new concrete skatepark in our home town.
Bury St. Edmunds has had a council maintained skatepark for about 12 years now, but the old wooden ramps had rotted from the frames out and by 2012 had become quite dangerous, and not in a good way!
Plans to replace the ramps with a concrete park were hatched years before this and talks with the council resulted in further funding and support being promised. This willingness from the local authority has to be credited in part to the massive roll our local skate & BMX shop Hardcore Hobbies took in organising events, discouraging littering and squashing any antisocial behaviour at the park. A respect for our very spacious play area was apparent to me on my first visit when I moved to the town back in 2001 and is still very noticeable thirteen years later. And partly to our council youth officer Simon Pickering who has pushed for this  A huge amount of money has also been donated by various groups and organisations to add to the pot for a very well proportioned park for the size of the town.
The new design, built by Wheelscape seems to have been very well received over the past two weeks by both locals and visitors alike. It consist of a street park and separate bowl. For photos of the construction, visit my now closed blog.
Although the park has been skated for the last two weeks, the official opening jam is being held on Sunday 11th May. Postcode for the park: IP33 3SZ.

This is the only skate photo I've taken at the park to date as I've given myself some time to actually skate it, enjoy it and get comfortable in my new home. 
The wall ride was on the original plans but this brick wall was not. The builders were not able to give us the brick effect on the red bank down the stairs because the stencil wouldn't line up aesthetically, due to the angle of the banks. When I arrived for a site visit late in March I was amazed to find one of the crew laying bricks! They'd changed the finish from plain 'crete to real bricks. A master stroke.

Harley Miller - b/s 5-0




#skateboarding #uk #burystedmunds #concrete #skatepark #new #milkskateboards #hardcorehobbies #voxfootwear #dickies #skating #skate